Monday, March 30, 2009

Felicity in Turin....by Paul Durcan

I love this poem the most for the line 'But with whom can you sleep ?' - there are usually few people in the world that you can sit alone with and feel so comfortable that you can quite happily yawn away and then snooze ! It's like reading - there are few people that you can sit in silence with and just read, without feeling some need to make conversation at some stage - I am lucky to have a few of those people in my life !
I don't see this then as a poem of romantic love and disappointment which I guess it is, but a poem to remind us of those people that we can happily yawn with !

**************************************

We met in the Valentino in Turin
And travelled through Italy by train,
Sleeping together.
I do not mean having sex.
I mean sleeping together.
Of which sexuality is,
And is not, a part.

It is this sleeping together
That is sacred to me.
This yawning together.
You can have sex with anyone
But with whom can you sleep ?

I hate you
Because having slept with me
You left me.

No comments:

Post a Comment